Waste & Garbage Disposal Guidelines
- Curbside pick-up of waste & recycling occurs Tuesday of each week. Items should be placed by the roadside no later than 7:00am to ensure pick-up. The collection of recyclables alternates between paper/cardboard and plastic/metal products each week.
- A complete bag tag must be attached to each garbage bag to ensure pick-up. Tags can be purchased for $2.00 each from the Town Hall and participating Deseronto convenience/grocery stores.
- Your garbage bag should not weigh more than forty (40) lbs when full.
- Place recyclables loosely in a recycling ‘Blue Box’, available for purchase for $10 at the Deseronto Town Hall or at most household product retailers. Grey boxes are no longer available for purchase, please use a blue box for your grey box (paper) items.
- Flatten for improved space, remove staples & tape, bundle cardboard no larger than 36′ X 24″ X 8″ and place it beside your ‘Blue Box’.
- All excess food/liquids must be cleaned off recyclable products.
- Your ‘Blue Box’ should not weigh more than thirty (30) lbs when full.
- Return empty alcoholic beverage glass bottles for refund to the ‘Beer Store - Empty Bottle Dealer’.
- Unacceptable items should be disposed of with your regular garbage.
- For more information contact the Town Hall at 331 Main St., by phone 613-396-2440, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, web: www.deseronto.ca
Acceptable Recyclable Items
Include: newspaper/flyers, phone books, white & coloured paper, catalogues, soft & hard cover books (binding/cover removed), magazines and envelopes (window can be left in).
Do not include: gift wrap.
Include: milk cartons, juice cartons and Tetra-Pak juice boxes.
Do not include: juice cartons with plastic pour spouts.
Include: cereal/cracker boxes, paper towel & toilet paper tubes, frozen food boxes, drink trays, egg cartons and greeting cards.
Do not include: foil lined or wax coated items.
Include: Shipping, appliance, furniture and pizza boxes (cleaned of excess food).
Do not include: wax coated boxes or items soiled with food.
Plastics marked with the following symbols are acceptable:
- PETE #1 (screw top bottles and jars only with caps removed) e.g. Soft drink, water and beer bottles; mouthwash bottles; peanut butter, salad dressing and vegetable oil containers.
- HDPE #2 e.g. Milk jugs, juice bottles, detergent and household cleaner bottles, shampoo bottles, some trash/shopping bags, butter and yogurt tubs.
- LDPE #4 e.g. Squeezable bottles; bread/frozen food, dry cleaning and shopping bags.
- PP #5 e.g. yogurt containers, syrup bottles, ketchup bottles, caps, straws and medicine bottles.
- PS #6 e.g. Disposable plates and cups, meat trays, egg cartons, carry-out containers, aspirin bottles and CD cases.
- Styrofoam pieces must be no larger than 36″x24″x8″.
Do not include: other #1 plastics (e.g. egg cartons, bakery trays, deli containers, etc.); #3, # 7 or unmarked plastics; motor oil bottles; hard plastics e.g. dishes, toys; materials with multiple #’s or popcorn Styrofoam.
Include: grocery bags, frozen vegetable bags, milk bags/pouches and newspaper sleeves.
Do not include: cereal/cracker box liners, plastic food wrap (e.g. Saran), zipper storage bags, diapers, meat/bacon packaging, “crinkly” outer packaging (e.g. Pasta wrappers), pet food bags or bubble wrap.
Include: clear & coloured glass bottles and jars.
Do not include: broken glass, window panes, mirrors, light bulbs, ceramics or drinking glasses.
Aluminum and Steel
Include: aluminum/steel food & beverage containers and foil wrap. Labels do not need to be removed.
Do not include: paint/aerosol cans, scrap metal.
Include: cardboard cans/spiral wound tubes with metal/plastic ends (frozen/refrigerated dough & juice cans, nut & chip containers, formula/powdered drink mixes).